Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Racing a commuter

On my commute to work earlier today, I passed some guy on a commuter bike. Since it's pretty common in summer to see a lot of people cycling around it's a rather frequent occurrence that isn't much worth blogging about ... That guy was riding a bike with two visibly non-empty panniers so, on paper, considering he was also a lot "bulkier" than me, there should be no match in case of a race ... Now, I don't often engage in impromptu race with fellow commuters, but since I do have a bit of competitiveness in me it does happens every now and then.

As I don't exactly follow the bike route but kind of interleave with it, I caught up with that guy at a red light 15 or so minutes after initially passing him, which wasn't really odd considering I had rode a longer distance than him. I arrived behind him just as the light turned green so passed him for the second time quickly, but I could feel that I wasn't dropping him so I pushed harder on my pedals until the next red lights where he arrived a couple of seconds after me. Now, I'm no Lance Armstrong, but the fact that he could keep up with me was a little odd. As the light turned green, the same thing happened again as we rode to the next light. As the light went green, I could, this time, see him in the corner of my field of vision as I pushed and pulled hard on my pedals ... so hard in fact that my left foot unclipped and that guy passed me on the slight up-hill we were on.

By now, I was rather puzzled by the whole thing ... Could I suck this bad on the bicycle that some overweight guy on a heavier bike could just keep up with me and even drop me? As I was clipping my foot back, I took a good glance at him while he pedalled with ease by me ... he was riding an electrically assisted bicycle ... 9_9

No comments:

Post a Comment