Friday, August 24, 2012

(pre) long run nutrition plan

In preparation for this October Marathon, I have started collecting tips and info on pre-race and race nutrition. Since we have a few long (> 20 km) runs left in our training schedule, it's a good time to specify a plan, and test it out so that it can be adjusted.

So, at the moment, here's the pre-race nutrition/hydration plan:
  • 3 hours before the start: one (toasted) bagel + peanut butter (spread) + banana (sliced) + chia seeds (2 tea spoon)
  • 2 hours before the start: one espresso (with one cube of brown sugar)
  • drink water regularly (not over doing it)
As for the run, the plan is:
  • After 5 km: starts drinking regularly 200 ml every 5 km (or whenever thirsty)
  • Every 45 minutes: ingest a small Larabar (da wife's recipe)
For hydration, I'll be repeating the home-made energy drink I did for my ride last Sunday, but this time with a little less chia seeds. I'll also carry a smaller bottle of water to drink with each of the Larabar.

I'm not totally convinced that I need to eat regularly during this particular run since it will be only an extra 2 km from the previous time and that I didn't bonk then. However, it'll be good to see if I do feel fresher by the end and also if my stomach can take the food during a stressing time.

No comments:

Post a Comment