Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Garmin GPS watch, DIY style

To track my rides and runs, I have been using a Garmin Edge 200 and the Strava's app on my iPhone. I had some pretty good results using my iPhone for tracking the run, however for longer runs it's not very practical (not to mention checking pace and distance is a bit of a PITA) as the battery depletes quickly (I usually loose +30% per hour of GPS tracking) and that it's rather bulky carrying it in my short pockets. Therefore, I have been entertaining the idea of using my Garmin device for running (on top of the biking). At first, I didn't have much of a good experience with that as the device bounced too much in the pocket (causing many false pause/resume events and some lost GPS signals events). I'll probably should just get something like the Garmin Forerunner 110, but I'm kind of a cheap ass ... 

Yesterday morning, I had a bit of an Eureka moment and grabbed some cheap watch which was given to my kid a while back (I wonder if he will remember it ...) and gutted it in order to attach my device to it ... GPS watch style:


Clearly, it's bulky (and feel a little bit heavy on the wrist) but after running 8k with it last night, I can said that it does work. It's not uncomfortable but will it hold-up for long runs (e.g. Marathon) ... I guess I'll have to test that rig during our up-coming long training runs.

No comments:

Post a Comment