Monday, August 20, 2012

About Energy Drinks (part #2)

I was at a nearby Running Room store Saturday and grabbed some energy drink supplements which I had heard about from listening to Coach Brett's podcast:
While I'm still trying to formulate (I got the Chia at another store BTW) the most appropriate drinks for my running and cycling (see previous post on the subject), I though I'll give these a try during my Sunday's ride and assembled the drink as follow:
  • Russian Earl Grey brewed overnight in 800 ml of filtered water
  • 3 tablespoon of Agave Syrup
  • 1 Nuun tab (orange flavoured)
  • 1.5 scoop of carbohydrate powder (so 120 kcal of carbs)
  • 2 tablespoon of grounded chia seeds (which may have been too much according to a twitter exchange I had with Coach Brett)
The Orange flavour of the Nuun tab was very pronounced, and I probably should have used a tea that marry better with it; but overall the drink didn't taste bad and I didn't get any stomach issue as the result of consuming it (yay!). As the weather was on the cool side, by the time we were done our 2:47:00 ride I had only consumed about half of it and finished the bottle on my drive back home.

So, did it help? ... Maybe. My legs felt a little less sore and I didn't feel hungry for a while after the ride (I skipped breakfast when I came home and instead had a late small lunch before an early dinner couple of hours after) ... but that could have been coincidental. This week long run (+28 km) may serve as a better test platform for that drink ...

to be continued ...


No comments:

Post a Comment