Friday, June 21, 2013

Twin Peaks

Last Saturday (16th), I joined 4 other cyclists from the greater Vancouver area in a ride that is called among local roadies as the Twin Peaks. The ride is located in North Vancouver and consist of climbing Cypress and Seymour mountains, which are located on both side of the north shore:

As the ride was starting from Stanley Park, I rode from home to it as a way to get warmed-up for the ride, which bring my total odometer for the day to 153km (instead of riding back home, I rode to a Skytrain station to took a train back home). 

The ride is my longest one in time with just above 5 hours on the saddle. It was my first time climbing Seymour and my second time doing Cypress. IMHO, Seymour is a little harder than Cypress (Seymour climb is about 15km for an elevation of 955m, while Cypress is 11.17km long for 694m of elevation).

Thanks to my low weight-race, I was able to finish second on both climbs :) Since I don't do bunch ride much (if ever), I had some trouble staying with the group initially and dropped them a couple of time while riding up-front in aero position (I used my Kuota that day) :D

Nutrition wise, I carried my usual energy bites with 800ml of my energy drink. At the end of the ride all I had left was a single date (carried four for bonking emergency).

No comments:

Post a Comment